Postal Service Clerk
Responsible for handling duties in a post office, including receiving and sorting mail, selling postage, weighing packages, stamping envelopes, assisting customers, selling money orders, taking passport photos, and ensure mail has correct zip codes and addresses.
- Answer questions about office hours and when items are picked up to be mailed.
- Sell postage and books of stamps.
- Affix stamps to packages.
- Inform customer about postage rates.
- Open post office boxes.
- Retrieve parcels from the back that couldn't be dropped off and give to customer.
- Assist mail carriers by putting mail in bags for transport.
- Sort outgoing mail.
- Check packages for proper postage and addresses.
- Complete forms regarding changes of address, or theft or loss of mail, or for special services such as registered or priority mail.
- Hand-stamp mail.
- Fill out and process money orders.
- Take passport photos and process applications.
- Obtain signatures for priority pick-up.
- Register, certify, and insure letters and parcels.
- Record and balance cash drawer.
- Give change to customers.
- Set postage meters.
- Cash money orders.
- Handle complaints regarding mail theft, delivery problems, and lost or damaged mail.
- Send out notifications for packages that could not be delivered.