Back to search results
Assistant Animal Technician, Animal Lab
| University of California - Los Angeles Health|
United States, California, Los Angeles
|November 25, 2023|
Description The incumbent will be responsible for performing routine animal husbandry tasks under close supervision. These duties will include cleaning, feeding, and watering laboratory animals, as well as maintaining the animal care areas and cleaning cages/enclosures and related equipment.
Salary: $18.90 - $24.91/ hour
* AALAS Certification at Assistant Lab Animal Tech Level
* Ability to euthanize rats and mice using CO2 chambers and Euthanex Stations. Must be able to follow the procedures for euthanasia including the use of the CO2 chamber, as well as be able to ascertain that death has occurred. Knowledge of appropriate labeling and disposal of the animals euthanized.
* Skill in providing humane care and maintenance to several species of animals and providing proper restraint for several species of animals.
* Ability to lift up to 50 pound bags of feed, bedding or animals. Ability to push up to 300 pound cage racks.
* Ability to write, understand, and register protocols in English.
* Working knowledge of hygienic principles and basic animal husbandry.
* Knowledge of and the ability to apply the concept of contamination control practices including engineering, administrative, and procedural controls for the containment of pathogens, including disinfection, and waste handling methods.
* Knowledge of and ability to accurately follow all SOPs, Working Instructions (WI) associated with a GLP study, including required by study protocol and GLP documentation procedures.
* Ability to work in an animal research environment which requires continuous contact with animals.
* Ability to understand established guidelines for humane care and welfare of laboratory animals as described by "Guide for The Care and Use of Laboratory Animals".
* Ability to participate on weekend/Holiday work rotations and occasional overtime duties.